FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Media Contact: Joanna Skrabala
November 9, 2023 757-220-6129; JSkrabala@williamsburgva.gov
Winners Announced for Start Peninsula 2023
Following four virtual micro pitch competitions and a championship pitch competition, Start Peninsula is pleased to announce its three winners for 2023: AdvisorFinder, Forentify, InfraSGA.
- AdvisorFinder:an online marketplace to help people find a financial advisor. They launched their minimal viable product (MVP) in early December. Learn more at com
- Forentify: a software solution to detect different kinds of manipulated media, including deepfakes and other types of synthetic and manipulated media. The platform supports a variety of media formats and is backed by a proprietary detection algorithm that allows for the creation of detailed media forensics reports.
- InfraSGA: a bioretention solution that marries simplicity, uniformity, and adaptability in a cost-effective package for urbanized and highly-constrained environments.
Each winner will receive $5,000 to fuel their business growth and a one-year seat at Growth University. The virtual pitch competition included 12 participants who had participated in previous events in March, April, September, and October. All other participants will receive a small cash prize for their efforts. All contestants will continue to have access to and gain guidance from local economic development departments.
Pitches were three minutes with a two minute question-and-answer session with the judges. The final event included a keynote from Steve Waddell, the President and CEO, and Nasoni.
- Evans McMillion, Principal, Talkeetna
- CJ Spady, Managing Director, 757 Market Leader Fahrenheit Advisors
- Marty Kaszubowski, Virginia Small Business Development Center and ICAP
- William Mcpheat, Virginia Small Business Development Center and ICAP
- Paul Nolde, Executive Director of 757 Collab
- Taylor Schaude, former Director of Investor Relations & Chief of Staff to the CEO at 500 Startups
Start Peninsula builds entrepreneurship on the Peninsula and celebrates our local entrepreneurial ecosystem. The event helps develop early stage businesses – those with a product or service that is still being brought to fruition and connects those entrepreneurs with opportunities to validate their business ideas and earn capital. The event is backed by six regional Economic Development Authorities, who are eager to support entrepreneurship. Start Peninsula began in 2012.
Start Peninsula 2023 was hosted by the Greater Williamsburg (which encompasses the City of Williamsburg, James City County, and York County) in partnership with the Cities of Hampton, Newport News, and Poquoson. Start Peninsula has been held annually in different Peninsula localities since 2012. For more information about Start Peninsula please visit its website, Facebook page or the FAQ page.
Download a copy of this press release here.