FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Media Contact: Laura Messer
Sept. 23, 2020 757-253-6607; email@example.com
Last night, the first set of finalists for the 2020 Start Peninsula were announced following an online micropitch competition. The finalists are 4.0 Inventions, Hottrok and AGENZ by TAO Agency. Barre by the Bay Round 2 was designated as an alternate.
- 4.0 Inventions has an intellectual patent for a new technology concept: the two-sided smartphone.
- AGENZ by TAO Agency is a talent acquisition platform that will allow individuals to find the best career opportunity for their skills.
- Hottrok is a performance-based tiling substrate that serves as a radiant heat carrier. It is the only substrate on the market that readily accepts warm wire and has both thermal and acoustic insulating properties.
- Alternate: Barre by the Bay Round 2 will be a fully infrared spin and fitness studio with spin, barre, yoga, high-intensity interval training and boxing.
Each finalist will receive a $500 prize and allowed to participate in the Wednesday, Nov. 4 main pitch event where they will have a chance to win $5,000 to support their business growth and they will also have free access to local resources. If a finalist is a winner on Nov. 4, they will forgo their $500 prize. Alternates will receive a $200 prize.
The next Start Peninsula micropitch competition will be held on Tuesday, Oct. 13. Early stage businesses are invited to apply to participate. There will be a workshop on how to perfect your pitch on Wednesday, Oct. 28 at 6 p.m.
- Rachel Frazier, William & Mary
- Jeff Johnson, Tech Center Research Park
- Blake Luse, Ferguson Ventures
Start Peninsula builds entrepreneurship on the Peninsula and celebrates our local entrepreneurial ecosystem. The event helps develop early stage businesses – those with a product or service that is still being brought to fruition and connects those entrepreneurs with opportunities to validate their business ideas and earn capital. Dozens of entrepreneurs connect with business leaders and mentors during Start Peninsula. The event is backed by six regional Economic Development Authorities, who are eager to support entrepreneurship.
Start Peninsula 2020 is hosted by the James City County, in partnership with the Cities of Hampton, Newport News, Williamsburg and Poquoson, and York County. For more information about Start Peninsula please visit its website, Facebook page or the FAQ page.